Sunday, September 4, 2011

Day 99


                Day 99
                Its day 99, it’s been over 14 weeks since I arrived down under. It feels like it has been much longer already.
                I have reached Darwin safely at last. Yet another change from my original itinerary, hopefully to prove as fulfilling as the last one!
                I’m in the heart of croc country and the home of famous film croc Burt - Most famous for his role in Crocodile Dundee as The Crocodile. Pretty cool I’d say! And you’d think being in the land of crocs would make it easy for a person to get their hands on a little croc meat... Apparently not. The search continues.
                Before leaving Lochinvar Cattle station I was offered a position on the station full time as station hand. I declined, anxious to continue on. At that point I was planning my next big move – reach Darwin to set up the details of my to-be epic trek across the west MacDonnell Ranges. 28 days across one of the world’s best ranked trials. Front to back, then back to front. Normally the full hike is about 12 days, but I want to hike in, then, hike back out, hence the 28 days.
                But, as luck would have it, I received word yesterday that the area has been under great duress from high volumes of wild fires. At the moment nearly half of the trail is closed off and hikers are urged to stay clear for the time being. I should be receiving more information from the National Parks and Wildlife office tomorrow. Regardless, I leave Darwin on Tuesday, making my way to Alice Springs. So here’s fingers crossed that all pans out.
                With very limited internet access during my time on the cattle station, maintaining regular blog entries was pretty tough. So stay tuned for a proper recap of my adventures down there as well as my venture north from Augathella to Darwin.
                For now, it’s off to bed to rest for tomorrow’s day of deep sea Barramundi Fishing!

No comments:

Post a Comment